This document maps out the research plan for the multi-sectoral research project on COVID-19 in Nigeria. The purpose and aims, as well as rationale for the project will be presented, together with the operationalization of the research. Research priorities will be identified in line with the WHO global roadmap, and research areas proposed. The consortium has brought together diverse institutions who will engage in various research projects to generate the much-needed evidence on COVID-19. These research projects become enablers to the exploration of COVID- 19 research questions and national response.
To generate research evidence that will provide knowledge about COVID-19 that can inform decision making at national and sub-national levels.
To deliver high quality research that is relevant locally and globally.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PLAN
The objectives are:
- To produce relevant and timely research on COVID-19 in
- To conduct COVID-19 related research to the highest international scientific and ethical
Ten thematic areas of research (contextualized from the WHO global roadmap with one additional theme) are shown in the matrix below with further categorization into short, medium and long-term focus (Table 1). From these thematic areas, the following research priorities are identified:
- Transmission studies (transmission dynamics- primary, secondary, tertiary & quaternary transmissions; feco- oral transmissions; sexual transmissions, vertical transmissions, asymptomatic & pre-symptomatic viral shedding, )
- Environmental surveillance studies
- Decontamination studies
- Investigation of possible contact exposure of pets especially cats and dogs to human owners diagnosed with COVID-19 in order to exclude “reverse zoonoses”
- Studies on the clinical epidemiological of COVID-19 as well as clinical
- Virus shedding in symptomatic
- Assessment of diagnostic accuracy and reliability of seroassays/validation of ELISA kits for COVID-19.
- Adjunctive & supportive therapy
- Standard of care research
- Evaluation of clinical interventions e.g. steroids, high flow oxygen, NSAIDs
- Clinical Prognosis studies
- Nosocomial infections of COVID-19
- KAP studies on HCWs as well as identifying the determining factors to inform context-appropriate interventions.
- Understanding the barriers and facilitators to non-compliance to IPC measures (e.g. PPE) among health professionals and community members in
- Clinical trials on existing therapies (CQ, convalescent plasma, Remdesivir, Lopinavir-Ritonavir, interferon, phyto-therapeutics; etc)
- Ethical standards in COVID-19 Research
- Research governance framework for collaborative research
- Behavioral studies on NPIs (population studies & community surveys)
- Explorations of local barriers and enablers for the uptake and adherence to public health measures for prevention and
- Assessment of the secondary impacts of public health measures, such as the use of surgical masks, in the community.
- Identification of the burden associated with COVID-19 outbreak response and implemention of public health measures.
- Identification of the underlying drivers of fear, anxiety and stigma that fuel misinformation and rumour, particularly through social
- Public health systems & interventions e.g.
Effect of health systems preventive interventions on mental health in COVID -19 pandemic; Assessments of Nigeria’s COVID-19 emergency preparedness and response plans and activities
- Studies on health delivery systems e.g.
Effect of COVID-19 pandemic on essential service provision: case study of ANC service delivery Impact of COVID 19 pandemic on immunization services in Nigeria;
Bottlenecks to access of essential healthcare services during COVID-19 outbreak Role of Primary Health Care in the control of COVID-19 in Nigeria
- Pathogenicity studies- asymptomatic versus symptomatic
- Assessing the association between climatic factors/parameters and Covid-19 in Nigeria
- Immunological studies on pets (cats, dogs, etc.) including immune response to COVID-19
- Sero-epidemiological studies, including the identification of community risk factors for COVID-19.
- Ecological studies
- Sero-prevalence studies
- Socioeconomic & health impact of COVID-19 outbreak & lockdown measures
- Role of social networks & safety nets in COVID-19 prevention & control
- Impact of COVID -19 Control interventions on; marginalized communities: Slum dwellers, Prisoners and Refugees.
- The Economic cost, adherence and sustainability of COVID19 control measures on
- Studies on health financing (Universal Health Coverage/Health Insurance; etc)
- Health infrastructure & resilience e.g. Resilience of National health system in disease outbreaks/pandemics: COVID 19, a case study; Responsiveness of research for health in COVID 19 pandemic
- COVID-19 and clinical research units in Health and Academic institutions in Nigeria
- Natural History of SARS-CoV-2 in
- Animal reservoirs of SARS-CoV-2.
- Understanding animal-human interface that drive COVID-19
- Clinical epidemiology (Immunological studies)
- Local R&D of medical consumables
- R&D of new therapeutic agents against COVID-19; and Vaccine trials
- Health policies and governance studies
- Healthcare systems
E.g. Impact of COVID-19 on Nigeria Health system